This pie was a surprise favorite for Thanksgiving and stands up to the traditional pumpkin, pecan, apple, and chocolate pies! It is easy to put together and quite good, especially the crumble topping!
DULCE DE LECHE CREAM PIE
Based on this recipe.
Dulce de Leche:
2 14 oz. cans of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp. flaked sea salt
2 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
7 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
6 full sheets of graham crackers
3/4 cup pecans
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups heavy cream, very cold
4 tbsp. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Dulce de leche, to drizzle (optional)
- For the dulce de leche: Fill Instant Pot with water that reaches 1″ above the cans when on the sides.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, and turn lever to seal.
- Pressure cook on high for 40 minutes.
- Release lid using either natural or quick release.
- Let cans cool completely before opening, speeding up the process by placing in cool water.
- For the crust: Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Crush 13.5 full sheets of graham crackers to make 2 1/4 cups.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt, followed by melted butter.
- Press mixture into pie plate, up the sides at least 1″.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Pour dulce de leche into cooled crust, then refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- For pecan-graham crumble: Pulse graham crackers and pecans in food processor, the add melted butter,
- Spread onto baking sheet. Bake for 9-12 minutes, or until crispy and browned. Cool completely.
- For the whipped cream: Prior to serving, beat cream with powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Pour whipped cream on top of the dulce de leche, then sprinkle with crumble.
- Drizzle with caramel, as desired.