I made this recipe for my sister-in-law’s baby shower along with the salted caramel apple pie bars. They were very quick and easy. It makes about 16 2″ x 2″ brownies, and only two of them came back from the shower (where there were more desserts than you can imagine), so I think that’s a good sign.
RED VELVET CHEESECAKE SWIRL BROWNIES
Based on recipe found here.
Red Velvet Brownies:
2 large eggs
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup (22 g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. red food coloring
3/4 tsp. white vinegar
3/4 cup (95 g) all-purpose flour
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8″ x 8″ baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- For the brownies: In a small bowl, beat the 2 eggs together. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large microwave safe bowl in 0:30 second increments until melted.
- In the following order, mix in sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar.
- Whisk in the 2 eggs, then fold in the flour until just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan, reserving 3-4 tbsp. for the cheesecake swirl.
- For the cheesecake swirl: With a hand mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla for about one minute until completely smooth.
- Dollop spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie batter.
- Cover the cream cheese dollops with the reserved brownie batter.
- Glide a knife through the layers to create a swirl pattern.
- Bake the brownies for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow brownies to cool completely before cutting into squares.