I made these chocolate cupcakes for my SIL’s baby sprinkle (or “spritz”, as I liked to call it) to go along with these vanilla cupcakes.
The cupcake recipe is from Sally’s Baking Addiction because I knew they would turn out successfully. The cupcake is very good and, as described in the original recipe, is “super moist.” The recipe says that it makes 12-14 cupcakes, and I was able to fit the batter into one cupcake pan to make perfectly sized cupcakes.
I used the same frosting for both recipes to kill two birds with one stone by doubling Sally’s favorite vanilla buttercream recipe. I colored the chocolate cupcake frosting pink/red and the vanilla cupcakes purple/lavender, as my SIL is having a baby girl. It’s a very nice, traditional frosting that crusts and pipes well.
Based on recipes found here and here.
3/4 cup (95 g) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (42 g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (100 g) light brown sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk*, room temperature
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
4-5 cups (480-600 g) powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
- For the cupcakes: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk eggs, sugars, oil, and vanilla until completely smooth.
- Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, followed by half of the buttermilk. Whisk gently for a few seconds. Repeat with remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk, stirring until just combined.
- Spoon batter into the liners (~1/2 way full). Bake for 18-21 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt on low speed, then increase to high speed for 3 minutes.
- If frosting is too thin, add 1/2 cup more powdered sugar. If frosting is too thick, add another tablespoon of heavy cream.
- Frost and decorate cupcakes as desired.
NOTE: Can substitute whole milk with 1/2 tsp. white vinegar.
One thought on “Chocolate Cupcakes”
Comments are closed.