I made these brownies totally on a whim. I had just returned home from a long run and saw that my wife had dropped off the groceries before going for a walk with the critter. She was going to meet up with some friends later and had a box mix to make brownies out on the counter. Knowing that we had all of the necessary brownie ingredients and my wife’s proclivity for fudgy brownies, I decided to make a batch of these brownies instead of the box mix.
I only deviated from the recipe twice, once accidentally and once on purpose. I failed to notice that only half the chocolate is melted with the butter. I melted all of the chocolate, so the brownies I baked are potentially less fudgy than otherwise. I made a note in the ingredients that the chocolate is to be divided. My wife also loves it when I salt cookies/bars, so I sprinkled a little bit of sea salt on top of the brownies, but this is completely optional.
I forgot to take any pictures of these brownies, but they were very good. I will definitely make them again, as they were extremely quick and easy to make with ingredients that I typically have on hand anyway. So, next time I’ll take a picture and edit this post!
SERIOUSLY FUDGY BROWNIES
Based on this recipe.
3/4 cup unsalted butter
4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate bar, coarsely chopped and divided
1 1/2 cups (300 g) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (100 g) light brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup (95 g) cocoa powder (unsweetened natural, dutch-processed, or both)
1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
1 tsp. kosher salt (plus more to sprinkle on top)
1 1/4 cups (225 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Sea salt (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line and grease a 9″ x 13″ pan with aluminum foil (leaving overhang) and butter.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine butter and half of the chocolate. Melt in 30 second increments, whisking after each, until melted and smooth (took three cycles).
- Whisk in the sugars until combined, followed by the eggs and vanilla.
- Fold in the cocoa powder, flour, salt, remaining chopped chocolate, and chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan, then sprinkle sea salt over top as desired.
- Bake for 28-32 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center has a few moist crumbs.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.